Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Stairs, Preschool, Green Tongued Climbers: The Usual

(Nathan's Famous Magical Wonderblog)

Over the past 14 months, I think I've used about every excuse in the book for missing a week (or two, or three) of posting. Unfortunately, given the weather, the market, the economy, the election and the lack of new shows, I have nothing to blame it on except myself--but that can't be right.

I can't believe that Max is approaching his first birthday. This has officially been the fastest year on record, coming in only slightly faster than the year Kaitlyn turned one. Max is now standing on his own and going up (and down...mostly) stairs on his own. It's true. Here's proof:


Unfortunately, my attempts at teaching him sign language to express himself have fallen on deaf hands. He continues to just scream to indicate his hunger, tiredness, or general displeasure. And, his screaming seems to come on most when I'm trying to actually pay attention to something--like talks at church or Sunday school.

Kaitlyn has officially started her "school"--which is pre-school for 2 hours, 2 days a week at a local church. But, she loves it. Loves it. She feels so grown up and she loves that we make a big deal out of it. She loves that she's just like Alison.

And, she's unbelievably adorable here on her first day of school:


She didn't even freak out at all on the first day. She just hopped right out of the car. She's so big.

Alison is getting settled into her first grade class. She has "amazing" spelling words that she has to learn. The other day she was asked what she was learning about in school. She answered, "We're learning how to count. I already know how to count!" She's very confident in her school skills.

Yesterday during FHE, Ali did something cute and Megan praised her for it. Ali replied, "I'm a better mom than you are--except I don't know how to cook!" Perhaps our next lesson should be on humility.

Ali has also perfected the ability to turn her tongue green by eating treats and candy, as well as the ability to go through the monkey bars as opposed to just swing from them.


Speaking of monkey bars, Megan, Kaitlyn and Max went to the zoo with Megan's sister and kids a couple of weeks ago. See if you can pick out Kaitlyn from among the wildlife.


Now, in an effort to hide the fact that it's late and I am suddenly unable to produce anymore intelligent content, here's a random assortment of pictures of the children as well as the people who wear all white and reflective vests in the middle of the afternoon.







Finally, a warning and a sad commentary on parenting in our society that I took when Megan and I went out on our date a week or two ago:

9 comments:

mcintyreandco said...

I am so happy for an update! Yeah for Max being so mobile, not such great news for you as parents! :) That doesn't surprise me that Kaitlyn was so ready for pre-school...she was born ready! Alison is such a great big sister and example. Just think...teach her how to cook and then you can take a day off or two of being a Mom since she declared that she is better than you. :) I miss you guys a lot! Glad that you are all doing so well!

Megan said...

Nice post. I liked all the pictures and update information. But I have to say, better to see your kids in person. I love being here!

EDS said...

That's a really positive step. I, too, believe that parents should not be taking their children (under 6 only) to R rated movies that will not get out until after bed time. I mean, seriously, kids need their sleep!

Anonymous said...

Good to know you guys are still alive! I'm excited to hear that Max is going down the stairs--hopefully Tyler will start soon too. Kaitlyn is just too cute, and our Ali definitely feels your Ali's pain in the whole "I already know how to" category of 1st grade. And I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say, "If you've got time for a date night, you've got time to blog!" So no more slacking!!

The blogging Bakers said...

I am glad you posted again, Max is adorable. Nathan tell Megan I said hi and your kids are getting so big and are so cute

Josh and Michelle said...

What can I say, except another amazing post by Nathan! I love reading about what is going on! So fun! Also, you will be amazed. I too have a blog now. I had to make it for my Technology class. My posts are about how I can use technology in the classroom. Super interesting, yes. haha. Feel free to check it out. callmichelle.blogspot.com
Love you guys! :-)

Christine said...

there is no way max is almost one. Are you sure?

Bruce and Mary Lee said...

Please send additional information and hints so I can tell which of the wild life is Kaitlyn. Was that a trick questions?

Clever as always.

Love

Dad Carlson said...

Awesome pictures! I especially love the one of Max on the stairs looking triumphantly at the camera, as if to say "...what are ya gonna do about it?!"

Along with our other grandchildren, these are the most adorable grandchildren in the world!
Love,
Dad