We had to decide quickly what our next step was--whether to get back in the car and try to drive to a new location to see her or not--and opted to pile 3 kids into a 2 seat stroller and try to chase her down. That didn't work really. Fortunately, the course had a lot of backtracking. At mile 8 we finally caught up with Megan. The kids were happy to see her and waved excitedly as we jogged alongside her for about 100 yards. Luckily, we managed to get ahead of her long enough to capture the following photograph:
Mile 8 also happened to be mile 12. So, we saw her coming back as well. Being the genius she is, Megan wore a bright yellow t-shirt to assist us as we strained to recognize her in the pack from a distance.
I jogged alongside her while pushing the kids in the stroller again until she finally pulled away from us and out of our sight. Megan's parents also participated in the day, running the 5K. We all finally met up at the finish line.
Regrettably, Alison and Kaitlyn both upstaged me as well by partcipating in the kids' marathon: a 1-mile run. Alison participated by running (and taking a few walking breather breaks) the entire course on her own. Kaitlyn participated by sobbing for half a mile while I carried her in my arms and on my back as I ran and tried to keep pace with Alison. Megan met us at that halfway point and Kaitlyn almost jumped into her arms; I was surprised at the sudden ease of my jog.
As we turned the final corner I pulled ahead of Ali in an attempt to get her to sprint to the finish line. Unfortunately, it had the opposite effect: she stopped running and started walking. The large crowd at the finish line immediately took her side and started yelling things like, "C'mon...you can beat your dad!" and "Don't let that ugly, slow, out-of-shape old guy getting upstaged by his entire family beat you!" Somehow, I felt a great flood of opposition and slowed considerably, just as Alison took off again and surged out in front of me beating me by "about two feet" by her estimation.
However, Max was the most exhausted of all us and immediately crashed as soon as we were able to hobble back to the car to drive home.
20 comments:
hey - that was a great day yesterday! seriously, next year, you need to get out there too! :)
Nathan gets full credit for chasing me around with 3 kids in tow! He's so great and supportive!
Megan, way to accomplish your goals and set a great example for your family! That is so awesome! I don't know how you can run that many miles! You look fantastic!
Congrats Megan on that great accomplishment. You rock.
congrats Nathan on being such a supportive hubby. You rock.
Congrats kiddos for being so darn cute. You guys rock.
And congrats Calls for having such an entertaining blog--I needed a good laugh and just chuckled through the funny things I read as i scrolled down through the last few blogs (i.e. the girls bday picks for Max). Man, is he a cute little guy though!!! Ditto on that football game--kind of a sour note for us fans.
Running in a race of any length and still smiling is a feat unequaled in the annals of human history. How you did it Megan and got Nathan and the girls to do it as well is amazing not to mention that you looked great in the process. Great write up Nathan. Are you still out of breath?
Love,
Dad and Mary Lee
Yeah Megan. I am so proud of you. Great job. I wish you lived closer so we could run together!!! I think everyone did great.. I love the support and how dang cute your family is. I am running a 5k with char and chase at there school this week. Charlee is totally prepared and chase is going to wing it. We will see how they do...
Hey, Amy told me you don't run anymore, so I figured I'd quit working out too. I've gained 36 pounds.
Leave it to Chad to try and make a hillarious comment! Anyway congrats Megan, I am so proud of you for doing a 2nd marathon. I'm sorry I didn't get to talk to you for longer the other day.
Congrats to the Call family! That's amazing that Megan can run that far and still survive, and the girls can run a mile?? WOW!!
Yay Megan! I'm feeling a little jipped that you didn't run in Charlottesville while I was there! I guess you'll just have to venture north or we could go somewhere new together. HMMMMM. Yes, that would be good too.
Way to rock it, Megan and girls. I wish we lived closer so we could run a race like that together. You have inspired me to start pounding it out on the track again.
congrats, megan! you're my inspiration.
way to go girls! next time we'll get the boys out there with you.
Wow! Good Job Megan ant the rest of the Calls!
Way to go! So fun that the whole family was involved! Good job supporting each other!
Megan, you are positively amazing. We miss you!
Hey Megan!!! Just send me an email at kmfrey2003@yahoo.com and I can send you an invite. :-)
Megan, you are inspiring!! Way to go! We miss you guys!
Megan, you are amazing!! So, are you setting your sights on a full marathon now? Either way, a half is way impressive! :)
Hey there! Found your blog... hope you guys are having a good trip (even though it was for a funeral)Way to go on the race! So awesome that you did this... maybe I'll try it next year with you!
You are a seriously amazing woman!! Way to go.
Post a Comment