Sunday, March 8, 2009

Dad's In Charge

Yesterday Megan drove down to Kentucky with her mom for a Stampin' Up party hosted by one of Megan's customers. Since Megan's Stampin' Up business is privately held it's tough to get an accurate estimate of the financials, but, I'm guessing it's pretty lucrative. I'm glad I'm married to the best demonstrator in the world.

Megan's day-trip south, left me in charge of all 4 of us children--er, the 3 kids and me. So, I did my best to equal Megan's exceptional parenting ability. Let me start off by saying that last weekend Megan had a bout with strep throat--which left me in charge again. Somehow, we all survived that little episode, so Megan was somehow confident enough to try leaving me in charge a second time.

Let's see how I did:

We started off the afternoon with a bike ride down to the neighborhood park/playground. Ali is really a whiz on two wheels now, and Kaitlyn is as confident as anyone on her bike with training wheels. Max is a very supportive stroller passenger. After about 15-20 minutes at the park, the kids were hungry so we returned home.

When we got home, the kids insisted on eating Extreme Moose Tracks ice cream. Hey, I'm not a bad dad; they were still hungry, so I gave them a second bowl full.

Since I put Max down for his afternoon nap, and Ali and Kaitlyn were all sugared up from lunch, I had to find a way to put their energy to good use. We decided to play a game of Jenga. Since, we don't own Jenga, we had to settle for its cheap and generic equivalent, which we do own: Rainbow Tumbling Tower. We played several rounds before discovering that it was actually more fun to knock the pieces down than to set them up. So, we decided to use the pieces as dominoes. Ali got all of the yellow and blue pieces; Kaitlyn got all of the red pieces. Dad's job was to make sure that no one knocked each other's pieces down before they were ready to be knocked down. However, we soon tired of constantly cleaning up the pieces.


Max woke up and we moved on to the game of Twister. The first matchup was Dad vs. Alison. Kaitlyn controlled the spinner and shouted out the commands: "Blue!" When we asked her what was supposed to go on blue, she responded with a puzzled look on her face. We played a free form version of Twister. Ali won by pushing me over. That left Ali and Kaitlyn in the championship battle. I'm not sure who officially won, but from the photo below, I would probably guess that Kaitlyn lost.


Max looked on with the fat lip he got on Friday. (That will teach him to take on a sidewalk twice his size!)


After Twister, we went for another bike ride which led to playing with friends in the cul-de-sac for 90 minutes. When I was lambasted for recommending we let our friends go eat dinner (and go eat dinner ourselves), I was shunned. I suggested that they could say "Dad, thanks for letting us play" and refer to me as "Best Dad Ever", but they seemed unenthused by my ideas.

Dinner went extremely well: I didn't burn the Bagel Bites so badly that they were inconsumable.

After dinner, I loaded the kids up in the car and hauled them off to Home Depot so I could purchase some new blinds for our bathroom (What? Butcher paper taped over the windows isn't fashionable?) as well as some other home improvement essentials.

After reading scriptures together, I put the kids to bed only 30 minutes late and began work on my house projects and general house cleaning, vacuuming, wiping and straightening so that Megan would be pleasantly surprised when she got home. Unfortunately, Megan made it home just before I finished doing the dishes (although she was genuinely surprised by the blinds and other projects I was able to complete).

In summary, Megan is amazing, and I'm grateful for everything she does for our family. Please don't let her go out of town again.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Nathan, you had me at the first paragraph. You are so supportive of your wife and it brings a tear to my eye. And you're a pretty great dad. Kids need ice cream for lunch every now and again!

Josh and Michelle said...

LUCKY! I wish my dad would let me eat ice cream for lunch...oh wait, maybe he did once or twice...who is your dad? I think you might have caught onto some of his "habits..." ;) Sounds like you had fun. Loved the post...HILARIOUS! However, Megan, it sure is a good thing you are around... :) LOVE YOU ALL!

Anonymous said...

Lots of games, ice cream, and playing outside...sounds like a great weekend!! And it sounds like Max was injured on MEGAN'S watch, so you're good there too. It's great to have a husband who you can leave all the kids with and feel completely confident that things won't fall apart while you're gone. Bravo!

Bruce and Mary Lee said...

Nathan! It is imperative that you modify your behavior right away. You need more failures in the house-husband arena. You could find yourself in this position often. Who knows, you could even end up giving advice based on actual experience!

Great post. You are a great dad.

Love,

Dad

Amy & Mark said...

What a fun dad! I'm sure the kids will always remember it!

PMick said...

Okay guys. I missed you today and want to go see you in Charlottesville. Except you're in Indiana, which is actually not that much further away right? Anyway, I hadn't seen the blog in a while - love it. If you are really interested in knowing what we are doing, Sarah does a decent job at stannyann.wordpress.com. Anyway, we had an FHE the other day where we talked about all the places we want to visit. Your house of 5 seems an ideal place to stop. Hope all is well - At this rate the reunion tour is just around the corner. Oh yeah, you are a great dad nate.

Kristin said...

Great job Dad. Ice cream anytime is a great idea.

Christine said...

You crack me up! What a good dad you are.