Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Law of the Harvest

Weekends are full of fun. And by "fun" I mean "projects." That's right, I said projects are fun. Futbol! About a week ago Megan and I were chatting about the economy, the state of the world, self-reliance and counsel from the leaders of the church and we concluded that one of these days we should plant a garden. The next day, Megan had already consulted a variety of sources and determined what kind of garden it was that we should procure.

So, at the next available opportunity we (and by "we" I mean "Megan and the kids" since I was in Pittsburgh for business) went to Home Depot and picked up some treated wood, Behr Premium Paint (note: only buy Behr), screws and garden soil. Then, Saturday morning between sessions of General Conference we set out to farm.

Step 1 was assembling the wood components. Megan took care of that while I was gone too. Next, we picked a place to place the planks. Since we plan on acquiring a basketball hoop for the end of our driveway at some point we shot an airball from an appropriate distance to make sure that a real airball would have a low probability of bouncing into the garden and ruining our hard work.


Since the ground was extremely muddy, and since the "grass" in our backyard is rather patchy, I decided that an essential next step was tight rolling my jeans (like you had to do in 7th grade) in order to keep from completely enmuddifying my apparel.


When Alison and Kaitlyn saw how much fun digging up patchy sod was, they begged us to join in. We obliged by giving them shovels and instructions.


However, it wasn't long until they politely returned the shovels.


After we installed the special garden soil, Max was anxious to consume some of the fruits of our labor. So, he took a Wheat Thin and scooped up a big dip full of soil and helped himself to a big mouthful and found out that the vegetables weren't done yet.

Megan shared Max's sentiment when she said, "We've spent 8 hours working on this garden and I still don't have any vegetables to show for it."

Finally, we planted some carrots in random places, some peas, some lettuce and some other stuff. In 75 days we'll let you know how it all turned out.

(Pictures courtesy of our neighbor Amy, who came running out when she saw what we were doing and said, "I'm taking pictures so you can blog about it.")

5 comments:

Olive Tree said...

Hi, it's a very great blog!
I could tell how much efforts you've taken on it.
Keep doing!

Brenda said...

We have also thought about planting a garden but wasn't sure how it would look in our backyard. Megan had a great idea with the framing. What's the size of your frames because it looks perfect for maintaining without having to be in the frames. Great idea and very inspiring!

Camille said...

Awesome. We need advice on this, got any?

Bruce and Mary Lee said...

Gardening. What a great idea. We planted this year with the vain hope that we will be able to reduce the cost per tomato to below the $50 each back yard industry standard. We think we can accomplish this be planting more cherry tomatoes. They produce more per plant.
Additionally we planted cucumbers, squash and parsley. We were afraid that the rabbits might starve to death but then we were gratified to see that the sprouting cucumbers were almost 1/2 inch tall before the rabbits got them. Drat those rabbits.

You have good looking garden plots, but where are the rabbits?

Dad

Anonymous said...

LOVE them! Good work Team Call! (And Amy's awesome, too)