Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Child-Proof, Schmild-Proof

I hate child-proofing devices. Hate them. When Alison was a baby she began opening and closing all the cabinets within reach. We were concerned that her fingers would get pinched (and we were sick of picking up pots and pans all the time), so we invested in some child locks for the cabinets:After Nathan installed the first one, we tested it out. Success! Both he and I had a hard time opening the cabinets! We assumed that we would quickly learn how to maneuver these new locks; after all, we were trying to protect our child. Nathan spent quite a while drilling and screwing in all of the safety locks, and as he finished up the final lock, we discovered that Alison had already discovered how to open the first cabinet. She had outsmarted the locks.

I remember visiting my sister's house and seeing that there was a lock on the refrigerator, thus preventing her 7 children from having complete access to the goods in the fridge. I was quite impressed with the device and noted that one day I would need one of those. The next time I visited her I saw that it had torn in half and was no longer serving its purpose.

So, I hate child-proof devices, and it's been years since I've purchased any child-proof anything. But, now I have Max. He's a very sweet, charismatic, handsome young boy whose smile melts me. He can pretty much get away with anything (e.g. painting his face with mascara, spilling my foundation all over his shirt, ripping Nathan's desk-top scrapbook calendar--Nathan doesn't know about this yet, losing my keys at the Outlet Mall and stranding us for 20 minutes...you get the point...and that was just today). Well, Max has full access to my double pantry and my side-by-side refrigerator, so he gets into cereal, popsicles, crackers, cheese, anything he wants all the time. It drives me crazy, so I decided to give the child-proof devices another shot. So I went and purchased these babies.
It promised to keep my children from getting into the pantry and refrigerator all the time. I was excited. So, I put these locks on and waited for it to be tested. Shortly thereafter Kaitlyn asked if she could have a snack, and I told her to wait until Alison got home and then they could have their snack together. I smiled at myself as she walked away, because I knew she wouldn't be able to get the snack without me...she would have to be obedient!
A couple of minutes later Kaitlyn walked in the room and said, "Mom, I can show you how to open these locks. And I got some peanut butter crackers." Nice. See why I hate child-proofing? And, if you're wondering if they've worked for Max, the short answer is: NO.
*note her outfit...there is more than 1 way to wear a skirt

11 comments:

Amy said...

Okay first I love Kaitlyn's outfit! What you miss out on when you only have boys!!
Second, I agree about the child proof locks. While in Virginia I put door looks on our storeroom door, since that is where I kept the goodies, hoping to keep Blake out. It was hard for me to open so I figured he would never be able to do it. The first time he tried he got it open with no problem at all! I think they should change the name to "Adult proof"

Anonymous said...

I laughed OUT LOUD when I saw the picture of Kaitlyn. (At first I thought it was an outfit brought home from Raya's house, until I looked closer and realized it was a skirt!) I love that girl!!

Yeah, I hear ya on the childproofing. What a joke! Tyler's latest obsession is buckles. He sat for 20 minutes last night in his booster seat at the kitchen table, buckling the safety straps and then yelling "OFF PLEASE!" It's probably not a good idea to let him get too familiar with these types of things because not only do they keep him in his booster, but in the stroller, shopping cart, etc. Oh yeah, and they strap his new "monkey backpack" onto his back. Heaven forbid he learn how to take that thing off! =)

Brenda said...

Really funny post, and your little girl is adorable in her outfit. With her fashion sense could we be looking at the winner of Project Runway 2025?

Camille said...

lol!

love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for making me feel better about never having bought a device like that! =) Seriously!!
You shouldn't be so surprised that your children figured those things out, after all...they are the children of two very intellegant people!

Anonymous said...

thanks for saving us a little chunk of change and some holes in our cabinets--I guess we'll stick with the rubber bands that currently serve as our "locks." (Just don't let Max show Ella how to undo them.)

Michelle said...

LOL. I love you and miss you terribly. Put Cayenne pepper on the handles and maybe they'll think before they open the door next time.

And yes, Kait should be on the runway.

Bruce and Mary Lee said...

What a witty blog. You captured exactly what my experience has been. The problem is that the kids are so smart. They take after their parents and of course their grandparents.

I love the picture of Kaitlyn she is so clever. Maybe she can show me how to open the locks someday.

Love,

Dad

Bruce and Mary Lee said...

Now that you're leaving me here while you go on your cruise are you absolutely sure there are no child proof devices that work?! Really, it's going to fun. It's all in the attitude, right?!
Love,
Mary Lee

Karie said...

haha. Kaitlyn is hilarious and so adorable. :) Thanks for the heads up on the child proof devices.

Jessica said...

I LOVE Kaitlyn's outfit. I didn't even realize at first that it was 2 skirts. That girl is inventive!!