Friday, October 15, 2010

Avery Rae

Last night as Megan and I were watching the live East Coast broadcast of 30 Rock, she leaned over to me and said, "I've had 2 contractions in the last 30 minutes." Since all of our other children were at least 1 week early, and since this was 2 days before the official due date, we figured it was about time...

Megan had sporadic contractions throughout the night--but just enough to ensure that she didn't get a good night's sleep. The contractions continued after we woke up, and when Kaitlyn ran out to catch the school bus she was already yelling, "My mom might have Ava today!"

By around 10:00 a.m. or so this morning the contractions were starting to get fairly intense. When Kaitlyn was born we had gone to the hospital but were sent home because Megan wasn't close enough--which was pretty demoralizing. Not wanting to repeat the same experience, Megan called her doctor and Max and I drove Megan to see her doctor at noon where she found out that she was at a 4 or a 5, and was directed straight to the hospital.

We walked in the hospital doors at around 1:15 p.m. and our good friend and neighbor, Amy, was kind enough to come pick up Max from the hospital (and get Alison and Kaitlyn off the school bus--thank you!). By a little after 3:00 p.m. Megan had an epidural in and things were going great. Megan's mom and sister were finally allowed by the nurse to come in to the room to witness the birth (at Megan's prior invitation).

Just before 5:00 p.m. they checked Megan to see how things were progressing and the nurse almost literally ran out to get the doctor! One push later...Avery Rae was out. The 2 loops of her umbilical cord around her neck which were quickly removed, and she immediately began showing off her ability to look sad with a puffy lower lip.

Official stats--
Time of Birth: 5:01 p.m.
Weight: 7 pounds
Height: 19.5 inches
Diagnosis: Adorable

Megan and Ava are doing great, and we both commented how this labor and delivery seemed to go off the easiest of any of the children!

After making sure that everything was under control I left to pick up the kids from Amy and Todd's house so they could meet their new little sister!

Now...behold the Day 1 pics:










17 comments:

Tara James said...

congrats, she is beautiful!!! I wish I was there to help or make dinner or something. love you guys!!!

Amy said...

Congrats! She looks just like a Call baby! She is adorable and I love the name. Also she has the best birthday ever (since it is the same as mine!)

emlizalmo said...

Congratulations you guys! One more beauty to add to the bunch. :)

Cody and Camille said...

Wow, she is beautiful (both Avery and Megan)! I love reading these stories... get's me every time. Congrats!

Christine said...

Hooray! We are so excited for you. I already want to kiss those chubby cheeks!

Bruce and Mary Lee said...

Hurray! We are so excited for this new little member of our family! She is beautiful, just like her mom and sisters, and no doubt as wonderful as her dad and brother. We can hardly wait to meet her in person!
Welcome, Avery Rae! We love you all,
Mary Lee and Dad

Laura said...

She...is...adorable! Congrats to all of you. BTW, so glad you watch '30 Rock'!

Scott and Jamie said...

She is sooo dang cute. I want to hold her! I'm so glad everything went so smoothly for the delivery, and how cool to have your sister and mom in there to share the spiritual experience with! Let me know if there's anything I can do for you!! I'm being serious, not just offering like everyone does! :)

Melissa said...

Congrats, congrats, congrats! I was just thinking last night that baby should be coming pretty soon. She is so beautiful... really! Sounds like a great delivery. Best wishes for your family.

Michelle said...

She's a beauty! Congratulations, mamma! I SO wish we were neighbors! Why did you have to move FARTHER away? But I've never been to Charlotte, so maybe I could visit sometime. Otherwise, I'll have to be grateful for your occasional visits to Utah! Much love. I really couldn't be happier for you.

Lauren said...

Definitely another beautiful Call baby! Congratulations!!! :)

Becca said...

OMGoodness, she is just beautiful!!! Nice work guys!! We can't wait to meet her! --Troy & Becca

Brenda said...

Congratulations on the adorable addition to your family!

Carolyn said...

Well look at you all with your big, beautiful family! I fb stalked you and found your blog. How exciting! Congratulations on the new addition. I'm going to have to spend some time here to see what you all have been up to, but it seems we're not the only crazy people who move several times a year! So nice to see your photos and catch up on your lives. I hope you are still doing well since October 15th.

-Caween

Sarah H said...

Congrats. We are so excited for you!

Lori said...

Wonderful news! Best of luck figuring out how to take care of 4 kids, we still haven't figured out two! Megan and Ava look fabulous! Hope we get to meet her before she is 2 or something! Oh, and good luck keeping track of that big brother - but are you sure he is a trouble maker? He looks so sweet and innocent...sometimes!

Kristin said...

I know it's been a while but . . . congratulations again! She is just perfect.