Sunday, March 6, 2011

What Kids Must Think

During FHE on Monday, we were having a lesson on eating healthy / Word of Wisdom and how Daniel and his friends refused to eat the king's meat (from Daniel 1). To start off the lesson, Megan showed the kids the illustration of this story and asked them who it was in the picture.



"Jesus? John the Baptist?" said Alison. Nope.

"Peter? James?! John?!?" Alison tried with increasing urgency. Sorry player, you're incorrect.

Then the light looked like it went off in Kaitlyn's head and she blurted out what seemed like the obvious answer to her: "Aladdin!" she exclaimed.

I've read the Old Testament a couple of times but I don't remember Aladdin being in there. Maybe it's in the Jive version of the Bible?

Shortly thereafter, Megan tried to explain that these principles of eating the right things has been around for a long, long time--even a long time ago when Daniel was on the earth. Kaitlyn asked, "A long time ago...you mean like 1998?"

Then, yesterday as we were pulling into Wal-Mart to get a Colts cap for Max (he needed more male / sports influence in his life after suffering a brutal and gruesome toenail painting at the hands of his 4-year cousin Gabrielle), Alison asked Max where he wanted to work when he grew up.

His answer? "Work in the basement like Nathan."

(Although he later amended his answer to "doctor", and I'm not sure why he said "Nathan" instead of "Dad" or "Mr. Awesome" I can tell that I need to explain more to the kids what it is that I actually do besides make pretty PowerPoint slides and that my current situation working in the basement in my Snuggie and slippers is only temporary until we sell the house.)

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Kids rock, and what they say is so great. I love it. Thanks for sharing and you'll be glad you have this (perhaps blackmail or keeping kids in place in the future???)

Camille said...

I didn't realize 1998 was so long ago until I saw that the Beehives in YW were born then...and as for "working" in the basement, i think what max was trying to say is that he wants to be a rock star when he grows up. rock on!

Camille said...

bryan's comment: your brother has a Snuggie?!
me: who doesn't?
bryan: we don't.
me: oh yeah, good point.
love ya!

Megan said...

He SOOOO does not have a Snuggie!

Bruce Call said...

I can't believe 1998 was so long ago. I mean that was clear back when I was, a let's see, hmm, 13 or so. I guess Kaitlyn is right--things really have changed alot since I was 13. Back in those olden days, Snuggies were not even invented, and for that matter there were no iphones or ipads, only eye patches (for Halloween). We had no Obamacare, unemployment was at 5%, and nine eleven was the emergency police number to call not a date of infamy; Al Caeda was the Italian kid who lived down the block, and Clinton was President not Secretary of State; the "twin towers coming down" meant that Shaquille O'Nea and Patrick Ewing were battling each other for a rebound; and we called the maze game in the snow "fox and geese" rather than "pac man." In those days "global warming" meant spring and "carbon footprint" was a mark on the carpet.

In retrospect, I guess Kaitlyn is right, 1998 was a long long time ago.

Love your post.

Dad