For those of you who rely exclusively on our blog for information about our family, you'll be relieved to know that Megan is not currently 58 weeks pregnant. Our sweet Olivia Jane was born 9/9/12 at 7:15 a.m. weighing in at 7 lbs. 11 oz. and measuring 18.5 inches.
Since Olivia is the fifth child, we don't really have any pictures of her yet, so here is a months-old photo of Ava I was able to find--which is probably what Olivia will look like in a few years.
I was watching some football or basketball game late on Saturday night, and had briefly fallen asleep on the couch. When I came to, I shuffled up the stairs to our bedroom and found that Megan was there pacing the room and had, on her nightstand, a notebook with two columns-- (a) times (such as 10:17 p.m., 10:25 p.m.) and (b) durations (such as 45 seconds, 30 seconds, etc.). Even though Olivia's actual due date was still a few days away (on 9/11), I vaguely understood what was happening--having gone through this experience only four times previously.
We texted a great friend from church, who was remarkably still awake at midnight, and she agreed to come over and sleep on our couch to be here with the other kids while we headed to the hospital, where we arrived a bit after 1 a.m. or so. I guess we must have been watching the BYU football game because it was only when we checked in at the front desk that I realized that both Megan and I were both wearing BYU Football t-shirts (from which the nurses on duty concluded that we must be a newly married couple, fresh out of undergrad, about to have our first baby...suckers!)
After getting checked in and confirming that Megan was, in fact, pregnant...I mean, in labor...we got settled into the room, and waited patiently for the drug dealer...I mean, anesthesiologist...to show up so that Megan could tell him that she loved him (I can't remember if that was before or after he stuck the massive needle in her back or not).
As the father-to-be, I was politely offered a recliner to sleep on which, based on how well I slept leads me to believe, must have been an airline seat in a former life. Have you ever tried to sleep well on one of those airline seats? I mean, they hardly recline, and then they aren't that comfortable to begin with, and then there's the incredibly loud noise from the engines, and...wait this isn't about me. Sorry, I got distracted.
Anyways, Megan did some stuff and then Olivia came flying out and into the world first thing in the morning.
About an hour or two after she was born, I quickly went home to pick up the kids to come meet their new baby sister who were all bouncing off the walls and excited to take turns holding her.
We're so glad Olivia has joined our family. She's such a happy baby and truly is loved by every one of her siblings.
Here are some other early-life pics of Olivia Jane--since more recent ones will be forthcoming.
4 comments:
Hilarious! Laughed so hard at the part where you said since Olivia is our fifth child we have no pictures so here's one if Ava. You crack me up! But I did love the real photos of Olivia. :). I also enjoyed your airplane recliner reference...very funny! Basically, I loved it all! And love you and your darling family!
We're so glad Olivia has joined our family! Just have to say: You rock, Megan! (You too, Nathan :).) You really are a great team and your kids are the best evidence. We love you all!
Yum. I love her, and love all your jokes. The BYU newlyweds was particularly funny...
It's been so long since I caught up on your blog! Sweet Oliva is darling. Congratulations on #5! We hope to see you guys in C-ville at the reunion in April. Would be so fun to get caught up.
Post a Comment