Sunday, October 21, 2007

Trunk or Treat

Last night we had our church "trunk or treat" activitity. It seemed a little early in the month to be trick-or-treating, but our ward has a comparatively small parking lot, so I'm sure there were some scheduling reasons for having it a week-and-change early.

The girls were so excited for the party that they couldn't quite decide who they were going to go as. In the hour before we actually got in the car Kaitlyn changed from Snow White into Cinderella and then finally decided to dress up as Belle from Beauty and the Beast. Ali decided to break tradition and go as Sleeping Beauty rather than Cinderella this year (although I'm sure she'll change her mind again by the 31st). I went as a scoutmaster and Megan went as an attractive-young-mother-recovering-remarkably-well-after-her-third-child.

Alison has been learning some interesting things on the bus. The other day she came home with the following modified nursury rhyme:

Row, row, row your boat
Gently down the stream
Toss your teacher overboard
And listen to her scream. Aah!

I asked Ali how her teacher would feel if that happened, and she rightly concluded that it probably wasn't the nicest song to sing, and agreed not to sing it anymore.

However, she came home the other day with yet another one, this one Halloween-themed:

Trick or treat, smell my feet
Give me something good to eat
If you don't, I don't care
I'll pull down your underwear.

Kaitlyn immediately learned this little rap, but adapted it as follows:

Trick or treat, smell my feet
I don't care, I'll pull your underwear down!

And then, last night as we went from trunk to trunk to collect candy she shortened it to just, "I'll pull your underwear down!" Fortunately, she mostly kept that to herself as we actually faced the kind sugar donors, although she did manage to let, "Trick or treat, smell my feet" slip out to one family. I think I would have just preferred that she say "thank you."

Kaitlyn is also enjoying being a big sister. She will frequently run over to Max to give him a little hug or kiss. As she skips away back to her dolls she'll say, "I just love him."

You know how you have that 8-inch high pile of bills and papers that needs to filed from since you moved in to your new house a year ago? I actually decided to tackle that project this week. At about 9:00 p.m. on Friday night I thought, "Oh...I'm, sure can bust this out and be done in a couple of hours while we watch a movie." I went to bed at 1:30 a.m. determined to file things as they come in.

Early this morning, right after I first woke up to get ready, Megan came running upstairs from eating breakfast (I assumed) and opened our bedroom door with the camera in hand. "You have to come down and see this" she said. I came down and was amazed to see...nothing. But then she turned on the camera and said, "Look at this bug that was right here! It ran pretty fast. I thought I'd come get you to come kill it." It seemed strange to me that her first reaction was to get the camera rather than the flyswatter. She said, "I wanted something for my blog." Uh huh. (Note: Undoubtedly, Megan will dispute some of the facts of this story.)

5 comments:

Amy said...

That is a disgusting bug! I don't think I would have had the nerve to take a picture of it. Unless of course I was standing on a chair! Nathan, now that you have your bills and papers filed do you want to come do ours? We have a huge stack!!

Christine said...

We had the same thing in our house. Apparently, it is a house centipede and it eats spiders!

Josh and Michelle said...

I miss you all so much! Why is everyone so adorable? (yes, that includes you too, Nathan and Megan) The girls look so cute dressed up in their Halloween costumes and that is pretty funny about Ali singing those silly songs...And I just thought that was so cute that Kaitlyn says, "I just love him." Could your kids get any cuter?! If so, I think I will have a heart attack because there is no way I could imagine my future kids being any cuter! haha! It seems like everything is going absolutely wonderful and I miss you all so stinkin much! I will talk to you all soon! Take care. Love you!

Melissa said...

Megan,

We have gotten those all the time here in Charlotte! All this summer and some in the fall. Luckily we can have pest control come out to help spray and kill those things. They seem to come out at night and they are VERY fast! They creep me out...

Melissa Larson

Amy & Mark said...

So fun to catch up on your blog. I love the picture of Ali and Kaitlyn in their Halloween costumes -- so cute. And Megan, THANK YOU for making the soup for me -- everyone loved it and couldn't believe that I had such a thoughtful friend. You rock!