Saturday, November 10, 2007

Return to Blogging

First of all, let me apologize for breaking my regular routine of posting every Sunday. It turns out, people actually do read our blog. Allow me to make some excuses: I've been extremely busy with school, and with interviewing--trying to get a job, and with Max as well as Ali and Kaitlyn, and given the current lunar cycle and all...

The most recent, exciting news is that we got another job offer! After interviewing at their office in Atlanta yesterday, we received an offer to join Accenture's Strategy practice later that evening; we're really exciting about the possible opportunities with this offer, but we'll keep you posted on our decision making.

However, it was quite the trip. I woke up at 4:15 a.m. to get ready and catch a 6:00 a.m. flight to Atlanta for a series of 3 interviews starting at 12:15 p.m. Believe me, if there had been a later flight that would have put me there on time, I would have taken it because I wasn't really that excited about sitting in a Starbuck's reading cases for Monday for hours just to pass the time.

The interviews were done by 3:15 p.m. and a group of us from Darden who were there for interviews took a shuttle back to the airport to wait (and again pass the time) for an 8:50 p.m. flight back home. However, by 9:15 p.m. we still hadn't departed due to some sort of "ballast" or weight problem in the plane. Then, there was a problem with the flight being oversold, but a seat being needed for an under-age passenger who needed to get home that night. Once we finally took off, I dozed off for what was supposed to be a short hour and 15-minute flight. As I woke up when we landed, I was informed by my colleagues that we were in Richmond, not Charlottesville, because of some sort of wing-flap mechanical problem. By this time it was about 11:30 p.m. The pilot said he was going to have to call operations to get a mechanic to come check it out, but that in the meantime he was going to power down the plane. After about 5 minutes of waiting in the dark cold, the pilot came back on and explained that he had basically just "rebooted" the plane, and that the wing was working fine now. Unfortunately, a couple of cranky people wanted to get off the plane and stay in Richmond, which delayed our departure for Charlottesville even more. At last, we took off--but not before the flight attendant went through the whole pre-flight instructions one more time--even though only 2 people had exited the plane! I got in bed at about 2:15 a.m.--22 hours after starting my day.

Next story.

A couple of days ago as we were eating dinner I was trying to help the kids feel loved and so I said, "Do you know you guys are the best kids in the whole world?" Ali's immediate response was, "Ab-so-lutely!" I'm glad they know.

We really enjoyed having Mary Lee out here for a week and a half. We had a such a great time together and it was so helpful to have her here. We enjoyed going to the Children's Museum, trick-or-treating on The Lawn, and attending the temple. I think that she had a great time here too--and how couldn't she? Look at how cute they all are together!


As I mentioned, one of our activities was visiting the Charlottesville Children's Museum at the Downtown Mall. I happened to have the Friday off from school, but it was a cold, rainy day. So, we decided that playing inside at the musuem was just what we all needed.

The first area we visited was the grocery area. Kaitlyn collected every single piece of plastic fruit she could find and filled her little grocery cart to the very top. Then, she took the groceries to Alison who was waiting at the pretend check-out station. Ali patiently scanned each individual item and then re-placed each one back in the cart. I love how they imitate what they see and act so grown up. It's amazing to see how they make sense of the world they see.


We, I mean they, also loved playing in the "ambulance." Each of us took turns pretending to be the doctor and looking at the silly x-rays that they had. ("Aah...I think I've found the problem: you have a pair of scissors in your stomach and a nail in your head.")



At The Lawn, hundreds of kids and their parents gathered to trick-or-treat. I've never seen so many little costumes in my entire life. It was really great of the undergraduates who live there to do such a nice service to the community (the dental community) by giving out hundreds of pounds of sugary treats. Ali's bag was so full that she literally couldn't carry it. She was dragging it on the ground from door to door.



Max wanted to be a Zebra (not a skunk) for Halloween, and helped his dad score some excellent treats as well.


Max also had his 1 month check-up and has grown from 8 pounds to almost 13 pounds. At this rate, he will be approximately 690 pounds by his first birthday. Do the math.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Thank you. It makes a far away friend feel not so far away. Congrats on your job offer! - Michelle

Christine said...

Congrats on the job offer! Sounds like a great day...i'm definitely looking forward to that come January. By the way, those "funny" x-rays might not be as funny as you think. We know someone that really did have scissors in their stomach after an operation--the doctor sewed her up and everything!

Camille said...

We're so excited for you and not a bit surprised. Thanks for posting the photos, the kids look adorable as per usual. They are the best kids ever! Love you!

Haley said...

Yay for the job offer. Hooray for Megan who must be feeding Max cream. Girl, you're probably a size zero if you're feeding that little man. He is adorable and the girls are ab-so-lutely as cute as ever!

Christine said...

He is so darn cute!

Amy said...

Yay! you guys have options now! Just leave a job for us out there okay, j/k! I love Max's fat little cheeks, I just want to pinch them!

Josh and Michelle said...

Dear Call Family in the distant land of Virginia. I just wanted to comment that I believe your children are absolutely adorable (no new news there) and also wanted to give an official "Congratulations" to Nathan for his job offer. I am excited to find our where your life is taking you all, but hope it is somewhere that I can visit often! ;-) I love you all so much! Love, the funnest girl in Provo (no exaggeration! haha)

Lauren said...

Congratulations on the job offer! And cute pictures of the kids!