Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Happy Birthday Megan!

It's true. Megan is getting older (read "more attractive"). I know what you're thinking. You're saying (aloud), "Nathan, that's great and all, but what's in it for me?" Well, faithful readers and blog stalkers alike, let me answer your question: that just means that Megan is now even more fun to hang out with and more fun to talk to since there are now more things to talk about than ever before. I know you can hardly believe it, but it's true. Megan is better than ever.

This past weekend I took a whirlwind trip from Indiana to Arizona to see my brother's farewell talk, er, last sacrament meeting speaking assignment before leaving on his mission to Taiwan. Let me define "whirlwind":

First, get up at 6:30 a.m. ET on Saturday morning to be ready to leave by 7:15 a.m. in order to be at the airport at 8:15 a.m. for a 9:00 a.m. flight. Fly for 6 hours and arrive in Arizona at 12:30 p.m. MT. Laugh at what happened to your sister's luggage from her flight earlier in the day; her suitcase looks like a piece of cardstock that got stuck going through a paper shredder. Rehearse musical number for the non-farewell program at church the next day. Eat lunch with the family. Go bowling with the family. Play Mormon bridge with the family until 12:30 a.m. MT--which is 3:30 a.m. ET. Oh, and by the way, do all this with Max with you since he's a lap child and could travel for free and enable Megan to get a small reprieve.

Next, wake up at 7:00 a.m. to get ready to leave for church at 8:20 a.m. so you get there in time to rehearse the musical number one more time. Realize you don't have keys to the car to get to church. Miraculously, have a family friend who came down from Phoenix arrive at your house just in time to pick you all up and take you to church. Sing in the program. Listen to Craig give a very impressive not-a-farewell-but-just-a-regular-speaking-assignment talk. (Did I mention it's not a "farewell"?) Leave church early so you can go home, change, eat and load up your bags. Go to the airport. Fly to Houston. Have a 3-hour layover in Houston with no other flights leaving for Indiana until the one you're booked on. Have your flight delayed 1.5 hours due to mechanical problems. Arrive in Indiana at 1:15 a.m. ET. Drive home and get in bed by 2:30 a.m. Oh, and by the way, do all this with Max with you since he's a lap child and could travel for free and enable Megan to get a small reprieve.

Then, wake up less than 3 hours later before 5:00 a.m. to catch a 7:00 a.m. flight to D.C. for work. Drive back to the airport and park in the exact same parking spot you left just 3.5 hours earlier. Use the flight time to D.C. to prepare for a meeting you have at 1:00 p.m. with a VP at your client.

So, let's recap. 1) Megan is awesome. Happy Birthday! 2) Max and I had some good father/son bonding time. 3) Mr. Webster apparently defined "whirlwind" incorrectly. 4) I had a great time with my family in Arizona. 5) I'm so tired...so very tired...

7 comments:

Camille said...

Happy Birthday Megan! We love you tons!

Nathan, it was so great to see you and Max! SOOO sorry your flight was delayed on Sunday-yikes!

We need to web cam soon. We need to see more of all of you! We just can't get enough.

Michelle said...

Nathan, what a great post. I loved every word of it. I think you are a superstar dad for taking a baby with you to give Megan a reprieve and you have an accurate definition of "whirlwind". I'll sign a petition for you to change it.

And yes, Happy Birthday, Megan. You are better than ever and get so much more fun each year. What are you, 21? (And I can't believe that you didn't mention that you had 24 hours without an extra kid on the phone yesterday. Must have been heaven.)

Anonymous said...

What a great dad/husband for taking Max with you on your trip! Sounds like a fun, exhausting time. You'll have to download the song "So Tired" by Eric Clapton...it's perfect!

Christine said...

Tell Megan Happy Birthday! And you are crazy, I mean really crazy. I bet you are exhausted, what a good brother and husband you are.

Anonymous said...

WOW! I have to say that I am very impressed that you accomplished ALL that with a baby! What a good husband! Where do your parents live in AZ? Taiwan...how cool! I had neighbors from Taiwan growing up...they were really nice and would always bring back these pineapple cake cookie things when they went to visit. They were dry, but pretty good. Anyway...love reading the blog! I'm glad you updated it even though you were so very tired! Got to keep the readers happy!!!! :)

Acepaad said...

Ah the life of a high powered consultant! Keep up the good work

Amy & Mark said...

Such a great post and such a good guy to give Megan such a great reprieve! If you ever spend that much time in Houston again, you'll definitely need to give us a call. We could have brought you food! Please wish Megan a happy birthday!