
Step 2: Avoid expletives 1, 2, and 3; substitute phrases like, "I think the wall is a little closer than you thought it was."
Step 3: Wonder if any 2x4's were cracked or damaged.
Step 4: Call father (who is an architect) for advice.
Step 5: Speak with father-in-law. Have father-in-law over for second visual opinion of damage assessment.
Step 6: Notice that the dining room wall (the opposite side of the wall shown in Figure 1) is bulging.
Step 7: Repeat Step 2.
Step 8: Cut the wall open enough to determine that no 2x4's are damaged. (See Figure 2 below.)
Step 9: Notice that one of the 2x4's is no longer flush with the edge of the base, but has been pushed in about 1/4" or so--which explains the bulging wall. (See Figure 3 below and enlargement in Figure 4.)
Figure 4
Step 10: Take hammer, towel and spare piece of wood and pound base of dining room wall until baseboard appears to start cracking in order to drive displaced 2x4 back into place. When 2x4 is back in it's correct position, it should appear something like Figure 5 below.
Figure 5
Step 11: Measure an exact rectangular piece of the wall to cut out so you can go to Home Depot and buy a piece of replacement drywall. (See Figure 6 below.)
Figure 6
Step 12: Clean up your mess so you feel like things are more under control than they really are. (See Figure 7 below.)
Step 13: Assess the probabilities of the wall being hit again. (If the probability is determined to be high, install hanging tennis ball mechanism. If the probability is deemed low, forget about it.)
Step 14: Install hanging tennis ball mechanism. (see Figure 8 below.)
Step 15: Go to Home Depot. Convince attendant to let you cut a rectangular piece of replacement drywall off of a new, clean sheet and charge you only $1.50.
Step 16: Make sure to cut piece of drywall exactly 1-inch too short.Step 17: Return to Home Depot.
Step 18: Convince different attendant to sell you for only $1.00 the rest of that entire huge piece of drywall that "somebody has cut a big rectangular piece out of." Now you will have plenty of drywall should you measure wrong again.Step 19: Borrow drywall compound (a.k.a "mud"), drywall knife, drywall tin thingee, book about repairing drywall, drywall "tape" and drywall screws from father-in-law.
Step 20: Cut drywall to correct shape. Attach to wall with borrowed box of drywall screws. (See Figure 10 below.)Step 20: Apply mud and tape.
Step 21: Be sure the mud has plenty of time to dry before continuing to work on it. Take businses trip to Chicago to ensure one-week drying time.
Step 22: Sand all seams. Reapply mud.Step 23: Go to Washington D.C. for 4 days.
Step 24: Repeats steps 22 and 23.Step 25: Sand. Determine that it's not going to look any better and that "hey, it's only the garage anyway." (See Figure Whatever-Number-We're-On)
Figure Whatever-Number-We're-On
Step 26: Paint wall and let dry...
Total cost to repair drywall: $2.50 + labor.
16 comments:
And just think, if I hadn't done Step 1, you wouldn't have had anything to blog about:)
You're the best, MR. Handyman!
Please remove this post...I don't want Amy to see it and set the bar too high for my projects. I'm still on the "get these boxes out of our living room" project.
In the future, if you could consider the consequences of posting such projects, that would be great.
Hi Megan, how is Indiana? When are you coming back to Virginia? My husband just did this tennis ball thing in our garage. I guess he doesn't trust my backing in skills!
Looks like you regained the "Incredible" title back! The repairs look great from the pictures...way to go!
I agree with Lori. I would also like to give you the title of "Most Entertaining and Creative Blog Posts"! I have not given this award to anyone else. (If any of my other fellow bloggers are reading this and are offended that they have not received this covetous award, please post more creative things on your blog.) :)
I'm not letting my husband see this post...then he might get ideas about fixing the garage wall I've hit a few times...I still expect to hit it again, so that would be a waste. He also installed the hanging tennis ball, but it fell off, and I don't want it back up. I mean, honestly, I don't want to drive in and be reminded every time that I've hit the wall...and if Bryan did fix it, there would be no clever blog coming out of the whole thing, so I think it's better we keep your hilariously-awesome-funny-really- want-to-share-it-with-Bryan-but- just-can't post to ourselves.
What I want to know is if it hadn't been for your blogging, would you really have taken pictures of each step??
Good job on a repair that would have taken us putting our house up for sale before it got fixed. (By me, of course.)
I am impressed, and that was absolutely hilarious!
Lol, I loved this story. Thanks for the good laugh. We wish you were closer so you could make us laugh more often, Nick and Tara
Good Job. I've done a little dry wall repair but nothing that fancy. I used a mesh grid thing to cover the hole- made for drywall. (The hole wasn't as big.) And then covered it with mud or spackle or something. Well, I "helped" my dad do it anyway--that counts for something right? Doesn't it feel great to be self sufficient?
What a lot of work!! Hate those kinds of inconviences, but you add humor to it. Miss having you guys as neighbors.
Megan: I just have one thing to ask you...WHY? Why would you do that to me and Blake?
this is halarious! I need to get Jonathan to run into the wall so that I can follow these steps including going to Chicago and Washington D.C. (only not for business).
Nathan:
Your MBA negotiating skills are obviously coming in handy at drywall acquisition. You managed to do the impossible. I have tried that approach lots of times and never succeeded like you have. Good job.
By the way I love the cantaloupe list.
Dad
Love it.
This is hilarious - I especially like steps 13&14! Very well done, Nathan, you should think about doing some Top Ten lists for Letterman! And I have to say, since I witnessed the work-in-progress, that you also did a great repair job; as a matter of fact, you did this so quickly and well that you're making me look bad - we'll talk more about that later! What a great blessing my daughter is for you - without her, you may never have had the opportunity to learn drywall repair!
Love,
Dad Carlson
Post a Comment