Sunday, November 16, 2008

Getting Back on the Horse, "Sunday Best", and Catching You Up

It was brought to my attention that it has been almost a full month since I blogged last. Now, let me bring something to your collective attention. It has been almost a full month since my beloved BYU Cougars let TCU trounce them on the football field. Up until that point we had faithfully watched every game this season. I even upgraded our DirecTV package to get The Mountain just so we could see the games. Since that loss, BYU has played (and won) 4 games. I have them all on DVR, but I haven't been able to motivate myself enough to watch 3 of these last 4 games. You see, I had had visions of perfection this season--visions of BCS bowls, claims to National Championships, and the unconditional respect of my alma mater by my peers. Sure, we're guaranteed a bowl appearance. Sure, we're guaranteed at least a 10-2 record. But, I let myself get too emotionally involved. Now, Megan keeps telling me I need to "get back on the horse" and get back into the games. I watched the 38-24 win over Air Force yesterday. I think that's a good start?

Naturally, this leads into my next topic. Growing up I thought that the term referred to the need to wear your very best clothing for church attendance. However, as an adult, I believe that this term has an alternate definition. I believe "Sunday Best" actually means "the best clothes that you can wear--not the best clothes that you have." Sure, I have a nice dry-clean only suit that I could wear. But, do I wear it? Absolutely not! And, why not? Because I know that by the end of the 3-hour block of meetings I will have some combination of the following on my clothes: blood, drool, crayon, marker, animal cracker slime, tears and/or nasal fluid. The real question is how long it will be until the former definition returns.

Now, let's catch you up with the last month of highlights from the family:

1. Max is walking. Well.


2. Max had his first haircuit.


3. Megan and I went to Charlottesville for a company recruiting trip, went to a tailgate and then attended the UVA football game.

4. I went to Chicago and Michigan.

5. Max, Megan and I went to Utah to attend my grandfather's funeral. (I'd like to dedicate a separate post to him in the future.)


6. While we were there we visited Megan's sister's family and saw their new house that they were building.


7. We also attended my other grandfather's 80th birthday party.

8. Alison started her basketball league.


9. Alison scored 10 points in her second basketball game. (Insert proud dad smile here.)

10. Cute Kaitlyn story (file photo): Today Alison was having a meltdown because a letter she had written to her cousin Grant mysteriously disappeared. Kaitlyn was immediately blamed. Kaitlyn, in her most loving voice, said to Alison, "Ali, Heavenly Father and Jesus want us to be happy" and then starting singing the song "If you chance to meet a frown, do not let it stay, quickly turn it upside down and smile that frown away."


Lastly, I won't bore you with my ramblings about Proposition 8 responses, freedom of religion, nationalization of 401k's, protectionism, expansion of government and other terrifying topics. I won't bore you with these today, but be forwarned...

3 comments:

Christine said...

thanks so much for the link to that blog-it was really fantastic. Seth would totally agree with you in regards to what to wear to church. He refuses to wear a suit for the same reasons! It really was good to see you even if it was only for a few seconds!

CarlsonMom said...

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!Glad you are back blogging. I love reading it.

Bruce and Mary Lee said...

It is amazing how much your absolutely adorable kids take after their Grandma and Grandpa Call from Tucson. But, I guess it is just one of those things.

Great blog.

Love,

Dad