Monday, February 1, 2010

The Big Apple

As many of you know, my job requires quite a bit of travel. Over the past year-and-a-half, I've frequented such exciting places as Washington D.C.; Basking Ridge, NJ; Charlottesville, VA; Battle Creek, MI; Pittsburgh, PA; Princeton, NJ; Memphis, TN; and Chicago, IL. Recently, however, I've had to go to Manhattan. You know, New York City.

Most of the time I don't have much (that is to say, any) free time to see the sights. However, several weeks ago, after a particularly long day, I heard that I was within just a few blocks of several notable NYC landmarks, so I decided to take the scenic walking route back to my hotel from the office and search for this "Big Apple" that I've heard so much about.

I found a "Big Christmas Tree"...


...a "Big Building" (the GE Building)...

...with a "Big Address" (or at least one with a TV Show named after it).
But, no "Big Apples" any where. I did find some "Big Ornaments" though.

I also passed a "Big Sign" where "Big Name" shows take place.

If anyone knows where this giant-sized apple is located, please let me know.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I heart NYC so much. I'm glad you got to go and that you could walk around a bit. Going at Christmas time is on my bucket list so I can see the tree and everything. I have yet to find a Big Apple myself... I did, however, find out why it's called the Big Apple by going here: http://gonyc.about.com/cs/atozinde1/a/bigapple.htm

Jodi said...

Next time you're in town, check out the big apple behind the outfield wall at Shea Stadium (it has been removed from the old Shea and put in at the new Shea). As you might imagine, that was the only thing I went to see during my last trip to NYC. That is, other than the people having sex in Central Park and the people buying drugs (three seperate people/transactions within an hour) on the steps of my brother's Harlem apartment. What's not to love about this place?

-J

Bruce and Mary Lee said...

Travel is exciting at first and the places seem to have a certain unique personality, but after a while all the cities look alike and the real attraction is the family at home.

By the way, thanks for all the pictures. Now we don't have to go to New York at Christmas time. You have saved us a fortune.

Love,

Dad

Bruce and Mary Lee said...

Fun post--and photos!
Never understood the Big Apple reference myself. Thanks to Michelle for posting the link to the explanation!
Love,
Mary Lee